Pages

Monday 13 August 2018

I wonder 4...

I wonder

What do I wonder?
I wonder who was the first person to die by the electric chair?

The first person who was executed by an electrical chair was named William Francis Kemmler, he was convicted of murdering his wife (Matilda "Tilly" Ziegler) on March 29, 1889. He had murdered her with a hatchet. He was tried and convicted of murder on May 10, 1889, and on May 13 he was sentenced to death. January 1 of that year, New York had instituted death by electrocution. William's lawyers later replied that electrocution was too harsh of a death penalty and some even said after it was done, it would have been getting executed by a hatchet and that, that was worse than getting hung. But some say that before William had died, he was calm and didn't resist once. Apparently, he himself sat on the chair but got told to get back up so they could cut holes in his suit. His last words were said to be by witnesses "Gentleman, I wish you all good luck. I believe I am going to a better place, and I am ready to go."  They then set it up and William spoke again saying, "Take it easy and do it properly, I'm in no hurry." Durston replied "Goodbye, William.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.