Pages

Thursday 2 May 2019

What is a Drill Gauge?

What is a Drill Gauge?
A drill gauge is normally made of steel but can be made out of other types of metal for example; Aluminium.
The reason for its existence is to accurately measure or check the size of any drill bit. It is mostly used by engineers and can come with and in many different sizes.

What does a Drill Gauge look like?
A drill gauge has around 27 different sized holes with the sizes under or next to the hole.
The length is roughly around 150mm+ (if you want to add a slight curve on the edges) long and the width would roughly be around 66mm. It depends on what type of Drill Gauge you're looking at or wanting to create and how many holes you want.








Here is a photo of a drill gauge one of my classmates had created.
The one I personally created has been given away as a gift for another so it could not be shown.

The one my class and I have created has only 8 holes of different sizes, this being because they are the most commonly used drill bit sizes that we use or would probably need future wise. Some of us have also spray painted our Drill Gauge just to add colour, and some have kept theirs plain as you can see. On my drill gauge, I did not add any colour just because I liked the silver shine.


What are some of the measuring tools we used for this project?
While creating a drill gauge we obviously needed to have a tool appropriate for measuring.
For this topic, we used 6 measuring tools to achieve the exact sizes, they are-
-Ruler (Used for measuring on where to mark out our lines, and to measure the sizes)
-Engineer square (Getting accurate lines after marking it out)
-Vernier (This is just to assure that my first measurements and my draw filing were accurate)
-Odd leg caliper (Was used to help mark out a curve at the end of my Drill gauge)
-Micrometer ( I used to mark and check the thickness of the aluminium piece.
-Spring divider x3 (I used for engraving lines and the distance between each marking point)

How to use a vernier and micrometer-
Here are two videos on how to use and read a vernier and micrometer.
Vernier- VIDEO
Micrometer- VIDEO


Here is my Tinkercad/digital Drill Gauge.
We created these after finishing our real drill gauge.

While creating this digital drill gauge, for this we had to create the same shapes as the real drill gauge, we also had to use the exact same sizes, so we could distance the holes in the correct places, we also had to check the thickness is the same and that the holes are the proper size. I feel like this was a fun project to do and that the learning behind this topic was also a lot but helpful.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mikayla, I really enjoyed reading your blog and how you really explained in depth with a drill gauge, good work with this post - lucy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and thank you for taking the time to read/look my post!

      -Mikayla :)

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.