Pages

Thursday 4 July 2019

Designing a drill gauge on Tinkercad.

Designing a Drill Gauge on Tinkercad.

As you have seen from my recent Drill Gauge post, my class is currently focused on creating another one but on a 3D app called Tinkercad. This app helps you create anything you want with accurate measurements and allows you to 3D print anything you create on it (but you would obviously need the 3D printer for this to work). 

In my latest Drill Gauge post, you may notice at the end I have already created a model-like drill gauge from Tinkercad to look like the one I had created in class, well now I am going to create my own drill gauge, the holes have to be the same sizes and the sizes still need to be able to show which hole is which size. 


Steps on how I designed my digital drill gauge.
  1. I went into 'BASIC SHAPES' on the right side of the screen and selected a polygon shape.
  2. I put in my own measurements on the length/width & height- Height(3), Length(80) & Width(60).
  3. I selected the cylinder 8 times so I could have 8 holes for the digital drill gauge.
  4. I put in the sizes I wanted for each different hole, (3,4,5,5.5,6,6.8,8,10)- (Or you could have any of the sizes you want to use/commonly use).
  5. I played around and put the circles in random places at first, and then I found a little pattern I liked so I kept it.
  6. I made sure they had an even distance from each other and then piece by piece I made each cylinder piece a hole.
  7. I clicked onto 'Basic shapes' and clicked onto 'text and numbers' and selected each number needed.
  8. I then put each number to the sizes 3 by 3 and the height 3.
  9. I then made sure they were evenly placed under the right holes and that they were just on top of the drill gauge. 
  10. I went and gathered letters for my name and placed it evenly in the center on the bottom of my drill gauge.
  11. After that I, then highlighted it all and clicked 'Ctrl+G' which then grouped it all together.
  12. Then I chose the colour I wanted to print in and went to the 3D printer.
Here is a photo of my own made digital gauge from Tinkercad.
Here is a photo of another drill gauge I have made but it is just like the one I made in class.



How to use TinkerCad-
 I am not really good at using Tinkercad but here are some tips I can give if you ever need help on it.
-I just played around for a while to get use to seeing and knowing where everything is.
-This helps by giving you a feel of what Tinkercad actually is and how to measure.
-Tinkercad comes with a few steps or tutorials if you're new and just sign up, it gives some easy pointers and some drafts/steps for you to do.
-You are easily able to get correct measurements by clicking on the shape you have supposedly chosen, and then numbers should come up on the side, you're able to click on those numbers and write in the size you want.
- You also have a variety of colours you can choose from.
- You can also share a design you have created with some people and yous can edit it at the same time, this can help if you need to work on a design with a group.
- You can easily embed your designs into slides/docs/blogs and more.
- You can also look at other people's designs they have created. You can look at the most popular ones or you can search for a certain item and it shall come up.
- If you find someone else's design that you like, you can copy the design and can add as much as you like to it, but you need to make sure to give credit to the person who originally created it..
-These are all the tips I can give you on how to create your own digital drill gauge.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.